Our management of TIA is basically the same as that of stroke. This, of course, is not very efficient. We discuss the probabilities, peculiarities, scores and management of TIA, using this current article from Curr Op Neurol.
Here are the core messages:
- TIA is more atherosclerotic than stroke (micro- or macroangiopathy).
- Use ABCD2 to determine stroke probability (or your experience).
- Doppler and ECG-monitoring x 24h is imminent.
- Forgo CT, go straight to MRI (within 48h), unless high probability of stroke.
- Use ASS, antihypertensives and statin quickly.
- TTE/TEE only if workup is negative.