Starting with a 30 yo patient that developed a protracted seizure as first manifestation of a frontal brain injury induced symptomatic epilepsy that clearly states her wish of becoming pregnant eventually we discuss the interaction between child, mother and epilepsy as well as detailed data on the various AEDs for pregnancy:
- What the AEDs do to the fetus (neural tube defects, delayed development, …)
- What the pregnancy does to AEDs (necessity to increase LTG and so on)
- What delivery does to epilepsy
- What is it with breastfeeding on AEDs?
We use this brilliant recent article available on medscape:
- Managing Epilepsy in Pregnancy. Expert Reviews in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2011